Here are some fascinating statistics regarding panic attacks according to The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH):
[Remember, this is according to the DSM. So, the numbers of people truly suffering from a form of panic/anxiety is probably much higher.]
- 1 million Americans experience panic-attack symptoms per month.
- 3 million (or 1 in 75) Americans will suffer from panic attacks at some point in their
lives. (37% = aged 18-34: 60% = 35-64).
- 50% are unable to drive farther than three miles from their home.
- 83% work quality declines; 67% will lose jobs or income; 43% are unable to work for at least one month.
- 20% have attempted suicide
A panic attack is the abrupt onset of intense fear or discomfort that reaches a peak within minutes and includes at least four of the following symptoms: Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate. Sweating. Trembling or shaking. Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering.
At least one in 10 people experience occasional panic attacks, which are usually triggered by a stressful event. Panic disorder is where a person has recurring and regular panic attacks. In the UK, it affects about two in 100 people, and it’s about twice as common in women as it is in men.
My friend, you CAN be free from panic attacks! You are merely experiencing your unconscious strategies you have created to “protect” you even though the “threat” is no longer there. Your same genius mind that created this way of perceiving is the same mind that can create a totally different way of believing & perceiving.